A fixture in Filipino-Chinese restaurants, this dish derives its name from the Spanish word asado, meaning ‘roasted.’
Ingredients for Making Pork Asado
2 pounds of pork loin, cut into 2 in-cubes
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/4 cup sliced onions
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
1 cup diced potatoes
1 cup water
1 bay leaf, minced
a few strips of red pimientos
salt and paprika to taste
How to Cook Pork Asado
1. Fry the pork in a pan until golden brown. Set aside.
2. Saute the garlic, onions, tomatoes in vegetable oil.
3. Add the cooked pork, soy sauce, water and spices.
4. Simmer in a covered saucepan until the pork is almost done.
5. Add the potatoes and simmer for five more minutes.
6. Garnish with the red pimientos and serve with piping-hot rice.
The pork asado mixture can also be used as a filling for steamed siopao (buns).