Pininyahang manok literally means ‘pineappled chicken’ or ‘chicken that’s had pineapple added to it.
Ingredients for Pineapple Chicken
1 medium-sized chicken
1 can pineapple chunks
1 tablespoon oil
2 tablespoons of minced garlic
1/2 cup of chopped onions
1/2 cup of coconut milk
salt and/or pepper to taste
Steps for Preparing Pineapple Chicken
1. Cut up the chicken into single-serving pieces.
2. Open the can of pineapple and pour the juice into a bowl.
3. Soak the chicken pieces in the pineapple juice for five minutes.
4. Place the chicken and juice in a pot on medium heat. Wait for the liquid to evaporate.
5. In the same pot, sautee the garlic and onions in the oil with the chicken.
6. After a minute, add the pineapple chunks and coconut milk.
7. Simmer until the sauce is creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Make sure the chicken is thoroughly done by poking the flesh with a fork, knife or even toothpick. There should be no pink!
Ingredients commonly added to pininyahang manok are tomatoes and carrots for color!
What makes this Filipino dish slightly different from most versions of pineapple chicken in other countries could be the addition of gata (coconut milk).