In Tagalog, pesa refers to a type of stew, while dalag is mudfish.
INGREDIENTS FOR PESANG DALAG
1 medium-sized mudfish
1 thumb-size piece of fresh ginger, crushed
4 cups of rice water
1/4 cup of red tomatoes, sliced
1/4 cup onions, sliced
5 leaves of petsay (bokchoy)
1 stalk of green onions
salt or patis (a fish sauce)
HOW TO COOK PESANG DALAG
1. Scale and clean the mudfish thoroughly. All the blackness is supposed to come off and you should end up with something white.
2. Cut the fish into serving portions.
3. In a deep saucepan, boil the rice water, crushed ginger, peppercorns, tomatoes and patis.
4. Drop in the fish and simmer for about ten minutes or until the fish is cooked.
5. Add the petsay and green onions.
6. Remove from the heat and serve while the leaves are still bright.