INGREDIENTS FOR ESCABECHE
one whole fleshy fish
(lapulapu, red snapper, carp or mackerel)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
some flour to dredge the fish in
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tbsp ginger root, cut into thin strips
1/2 cup sliced onions
1 cup red and green bell peppers, cut into strips
2 tbsp lard or oil
2 cups water
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp cornstarch (dissolve in water)
PROCEDURE FOR COOKING FILIPINO-STYLE ESCABECHE
1. Rub the fish with salt and pepper. Dredge with flour and then deep-fry in very hot oil. Set aside.
2. In a skillet, lightly saute garlic, ginger, onions and bell peppers in lard or oil. Don’t overcook the onions and bell peppers. Set aside.
3. In the pan, mix together the water, vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, corn starch, salt and pepper. Simmer for about 5 minutes or until the starch is cooked and thickens the mixture.
4. Place the fish on a platter and pour over it the sauce prepared in step 3.
5. Arrange the sauteed ginger, onions and peppers on top of the fish and serve.
*This recipe is provided without warranty of any kind. Please consider it only as a guide.