Bulanglang is a vegetable stew. It’s different from pinakbet in being soupier and including dark leafy vegetables. This recipe includes fish as an ingredient.
INGREDIENTS FOR BULANGLANG
|2 tablespoons lard
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1/4 cup onions, minced
1/2 cup red tomatoes, sliced
2 cups rice washings
one medium-sized milkfish
|1 cup squash, diced
1 cup eggplant, diced
1 cup ampalaya, sliced into strips
1/2 cup malunggay leaves
1/2 cup kangkong tops
1/2 teaspoon ginger, chopped
3 tablespoons of bagoong
STEPS IN COOKING BULANGLANG
2. Add the two cups of rice washings. Bring to a boil.
3. Season with the bagoong, and add the milkfish.
4. Simmer for five minutes and remove the fish.
5. Add the vegetables starting with the squash, which takes the longest to cook. The leafy vegetables should be added last.
6. As soon as the vegetables are done, remove from heat and transfer to a serving dish.
7. Place the fish on top of the vegetables. Serve as soon as possible.
Bulanglang is a very flexible dish. You can vary the vegetables according to your taste.