The base for the classic Filipino lechon sauce is atay ng baboy (pork liver).
Mang Tomas is a popular Filipino brand of bottled sauce used for lechon in the Philippines. But you can make your own liver sauce with this easy recipe!
Ingredients for Making Lechon Sauce
1/2 kg pork liver
2 cups water or more
1/3 cup onions, minced
2 tbsp garlic, minced
3 tbsp lard to saute the onions and garlic
1/3 cup vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup bread crumbs (toasted and crumbled)
1 tsp ground black pepper
salt to taste
How to Make Lechon Sauce
1. Broil the pork liver until half done, then grind or chop very finely.
2. Add water and squeeze the extract through a cheesecloth.
3. Mix the liver extract with the sauteed onions and browned garlic, powdered crumbs, vinegar, sugar and salt.
4. Simmer in a pan over medium heat until thick and the liver is thoroughly cooked.
5. Add the ground pepper last.