Biko is a sweet rice delicacy that’s traditionally served on New Year’s Eve. The essential ingredients are malagkit (glutinous or sticky rice), gata (coconut milk) and brown sugar.
BIKO Recipe for 10 servings
3 cups glutinous rice (malagkit)
1 and 1/2 cups water
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
3 cups coconut milk (gata)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup lightly toasted coconut flakes, sweetened
1. Combine the glutinous rice, water, brown sugar, white sugar, coconut milk and salt in a large non-stick pot.
2. Turn on medium heat and stir the mixture continually until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is soft and fully cooked.
3. Transfer the rice mixture to a flat rectangular baking dish. Use a pancake turner or spoon to flatten and smooth the top.
4. Let cool until the rice mixture firms up.
5. Slice into serving pieces and serve topped with coconut flakes.
Variations include the use of condensed milk and vanilla extract.