Ginataan is a sweet stew of root crops, fruit and other goodies cooked in coconut milk. This easy ginataan recipe makes 8 servings.
INGREDIENTS FOR MAKING GINATAAN
1 cup glutinous-rice flour (mochiko can be used)
1/3 cup water
3 cups gata (coconut milk)
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup shredded jackfruit, preferably sweet preserves
1 medium kamote (yam or sweet potato), cubed, into one-inch pieces
2 small gabi (taro root), cubed into half-inch pieces
4 ripe saba (cooking bananas), peeled and sliced diagonally
PROCEDURE FOR MAKING GINATAAN
1. Combine the rice flour with 1/3 cup water. Add little amounts of water until you get a soft dough.
2. Form the dough into small balls of about half an inch in diameter. Rolling the pieces between the palms of your hands. Set aside.
3. In a deep pan, bring to a boil the coconut milk and sugar. Reduce heat to medium.
4. Add the flour balls (made in step 2), jackfruit, yam, taro root and bananas.
5. Simmer for about 15 minutes or until all the fruit and root crops are cooked. Stir frequently.
6. Ladle out servings into individual bowls. Serve warm.
*mochiko - Japanese flour made from glutinous or sticky rice