Espasol is a Filipino rice-flour treat in the shape of a slender tube. This simple espasol recipe yields 4 servings.
INGREDIENTS FOR MAKING ESPASOL
1 and 1/2 cups glutinous-rice flour (mochiko can be used)
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup gata (coconut milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Lightly toast the rice flour in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Set aside.
PROCEDURE FOR MAKING ESPASOL
2. In a non-stick skillet, boil the sugar, coconut milk, vanilla and salt over medium heat.
3. Add in the toasted flour. Blend and stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the mixture thickens and dries. It should soon form into a ball.
4. Transfer the mixture to a board dusted with toasted flour.
5. Use a rolling pin to flatten mixture to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into rectangles.
6. Roll the rectangular pieces in the rest of the flour.
7. Arrange on a serving dish. Wrap in clear plastic until ready to serve.
*mochiko - Japanese flour made from glutinous or sticky rice